A CTC affiliated club, Marlow Riders are the home of cycling in Marlow and the surrounding areas of South Bucks and Berkshire.
The fast expanding club is based upon sociable cycling for all. They welcome all levels of cyclists to join them….riders will not be left behind. They start together and finish together and on the way they might enjoy the odd “cuppa”. They concentrate on road cycling and during 2012 ran their first sportive – the Marlow Red Kite Ride.
They arrange various club rides during the week.
- Their regular rides are every Saturday morning from Marlow Sports Club when they go out in groups at different speeds, all with a group leader. These are a good opportunity to come along and meet the club. They aim to leave the Sports Club at 8:30, so please get there before then.
- The fastest ‘Cheetahs’ group leave the Sports Club at 08:00 each Saturday
- Saturday rides now include a ‘Lions’ ride which is ideal for people new to riding with groups or returning cyclists. This group goes at the speed of the slowest.
- They have informal rides on Sunday mornings, for those who are there.
- From April until about September they run evening rides each Tuesday and Thursday. These leave the Marlow Sports Club promptly at 6:30 to make best use of the light.
- They also have occasional Wednesday morning rides for some of the faster “Cheetahs” group.
Everyone is welcome to join them for up to five rides for free. However, they club’s insurance policy requires everyone who rides with them more than five times to join the club.
They normally ride in four or five groups. If there are a large numbers of riders, they may chose to have more groups so for instance they may have two ‘Jaguars’ groups doing different routes.
- Cheetahs For those that require a hard & fast ride. This group is led by experienced Riders and typically rides at 16-18mph, and sometimes faster depending on the route and who is pulling at the front. This group leaves the Sports Club at 08:00, to do around 40-45 miles before the coffee stop.
- Leopards typically ride at 15-17 mph.
- Jaguars For those that require a gentler pace with a few hills.
- Easy Tigers For those that require an easier ride. The ‘ETs’ normally cover 25 miles on mostly flat roads.
- Lions A ride for those who are less confident or new to riding in groups. These are led by an experienced cyclist but do a speed and distance to suit those who are there. Depending on who is there, this group may set off with the Easy Tigers and separate later. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need more information.